Saturday 4 September 2010

Autumn Colours

Here are a couple of cards which I made today, just playing around with various techniques I've picked up recently.
The first one was made by masking off the front of the card with Post-its and sponging colour into the gap. I used deep red, orange and yellow. At first the colours were a little too distinct so I went over all of them with a sort of terra cotta or brick colour, it's a Papermania ink but doesn't have a colour label on it. Once I was satisfied with the overall colour, I stamped the leaves with the same terracotta colour, then took off the masking and printed the final three leaves in deep red overlapping the edges of the sponging.
The sentiment was intended to be directly on the card, but I dropped the inky stamp and made a splodge. As I was pleased with the rest of the card, I didn't bin it, but merely made another sentiment and die-cut it before it adding to the card... over the evidence of my ineptitude!
This next one, inspired by Susan over at the Simplicity blog, uses the same leaf stamp from Kodomo Inc, partially stamped onto each of the Sizzix tags, using gradually deepening autumnal shades.
The Dovecraft ribbon is a beautiful shade of deep red which I bought for 99p recently in the Paper Mill shop. I wish they'd had more I would have got some extra.
The bows were made using my bow maker and the sentiments on both cards are from Stampin' Up.
I've now got to get busy making about 10 Welcome Home cards for a friend of mine who is a travel agent. She likes to send her clients a card for when they return home from their rather swish holidays!
No time to Stamp - Falling leaves
Aud's Sentiments - Best Wishes
The Wild Flower Patch - Fall Colours
The Secret Crafter - Clean and Simple
I also just discovered a blog, Creative Belli Blog, where the challenge is to use OLD STAMPS. Well, this leaf stamp comes from a set which I bought yonks ago and have only just rediscovered. I haven't actually found the complete set, I must keep digging!

25 comments:

  1. I am sensing that you are in Autumn mode now Chrissie. Love the leaf stamp, is that the same one as the bleach technique the other day?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the top leaf card and the effect your technique gave you ~ think I might try my hand at something like this over the next few days :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, another technique to have a go at - thanks! The thinking of you card looks absolutely amazing - gorgeous colours and leaf stamp. Susie x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both of your cards are stunning. I made some autumn cards recently, but now I think I want to try both of these. Thanks for the inspiration. Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, wow, Chrissie! These are both absolutely amazing! Your tag treatment is so sophisticated, yet still quite clean and simple. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Simply stunning Chrissie.
    Hugs
    Valxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Autumn, my favourite time of year. These are both beautiful classy cards :o)
    Jackie xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! Both cards are JUST stunning! You certainly captured the essence of *falling leaves* with absolute clarity! LOVE that creation! So glad you played along with those of us at the Stamp Simply Challenge this week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very pretty! You did a fabulous job! Thanks for joining us at Aud Sentiments

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Chrissie, Simply stunning fabulous colours.
    Hugs cherie

    ReplyDelete
  11. What beautiful cards! I love the way you did the leaves with the shadows. Thanks for joining us at Aud Sentiments and don't forget to enter in our September monthly drawing going on right now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful card with lovely color and well written blog! Thanks for participating in the Creative Belli Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So simple and so elegant! Very lovely

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW Chrissie, what a stunning pair of cards!!! I LOVE that leaf stamp and is certainly one i'd want to have in my stash... need to look out for that one!!!

    The masking and inking technique you have used in your first card is simply stunning. The colour you've achieved by blending those other colours is so Autumnal... now this card looks like it should be in mass production - seriously. I wonder if you can approach somewhere to get it printed. Although the angel policy of the stamp may prevent you, the principal is there and you could always try and produce the leaf, or indeed another image, some other way.

    I really admire how it turned out.

    Paula x x x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello,
    Lovely card, fantastic layout and choice of colours it is a truly stunning card thanks for joining us at the Secret Crafters: Clean and Simple challenge this week, Good luck, Bridget x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful...love the leaf design...So eegant

    Thanks for joining SCSC Clean and simple theme this week and good luck
    x
    Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great cards

    Thanks for joining us on SCSC :)

    Hugs Jane x
    SCSC DT

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very pretty, it's such fun trying to fix a 'oops' like that! Well done and a beautiful card! TFS

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congrats on the guest design spot over at splitcoast! See... we're watching! I know you'll do a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations on the guest designer spot! I'm looking forward to working with you, and seeing the fab creations you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is gorgeous! I can see why Sharon chose this beauty! And congrats on the Guest Designer gig ... looking forward to creating with you! Sending hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ohhh your work is terrific! Looking forward to the remaining September Stamp Simply Challenges! Congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Chrissie both of these cards are absolutely stunning the wonderful designs are top notch thank you so much for sharing with us at Aud Sentiments
    Hugs
    Lorraine x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Gorgeous autumn card Chrissie!
    Thanks so much for playing along @ Creative Belli & Aud Sentiments!
    blessings!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for popping by, I appreciate your comments!
Thanks,
Chrissie