Saturday 26 February 2011

OLW 42

I have been away from my desk quite a lot this week and only just got around to seeing what the challenge for One Layer Wednesday was. It had to have some musical reference.
I dug out these stamps with what turned out to be sad irony... the sentiment reads "Where words fail, music speaks". No sooner had I finished the card when the phone rang and a friend from the Isle of Wight, the conductor of a choir with whom we have sung many times, told us that her husband had passed away this morning.
The sentiment on this card was perfect for this occasion and I quickly wrote our message and rushed to the post box to catch the last post this morning.
Both the stamp and the sentiment are from Stampin' Up and I love them both. I stamped the image onto scrap and cut out the square shape to use the remainder as a mask for sponging colour onto the image. I used Old Paper and Spun Sugar distress inks.
As the last card was used so suddenly for a sad occasion, I thought I'd do another card for the challenge. The layout of this was inspired by Heather T ... simply masked and stamped, with addition of a touch of red in the form of a few tiny butterflies!

12 comments:

  1. This is a truly lovely card, and the sentiment is beautiful. I'm so sorry that you had to use it so quickly - sending hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great sentiment for a sad occasion. I love both the cards and another great tip using the waste to make an inking mask. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. A perfect card for such a good friend, how sad.
    But it will be well appreciated i am sure...

    Love the second one,specially how you have high lighted the butterflies in red.

    Babs x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chrissie, your example for the Simply More is Less for this week is so beautiful with the pastel colors. I love the cracked glass technique and have used it with success (and also w/o success) in the past. The interesting thing about it is that you never know how it will crack.

    ReplyDelete
  5. two absolutly lovely cards!

    hugs,Beate

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super cards Chrissie, the top one has to be my favourite - it's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning card Chrissie - sorry to read your sad news about your friend though.
    Take care
    Debs xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry for your loss Chrissie, but the card is perfect and I'm sure your friend will appreciate it.

    LOVING your's and Mandi's LIM Challenge Blog and having lots of fun joining in.

    Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  9. Two great cards Chrissie, but the gorgeous vintage treble clef stamp makes that one my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are lovely. I find the first one to be especially beautiful. I love the coloration and antique look of it. I'm sorry you needed to use it so quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely cards, especially the first one. Sad though the circumstances may be, it's good that you've given the card away. I'm sure the effort, sentiment and art will be appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your two cards are both lovely. I'm so sorry you had to use the first for a sad occasion.

    Great job on the challenge and thanks for playing along with OLW42!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for popping by, I appreciate your comments!
Thanks,
Chrissie