Saturday 25 October 2014

Read all about it

The challenge at Less is More this week is to use newsprint somewhere in the design of the card.
  • I began by stamping an Impression Obsession newsprint stamp onto some ivory paper.
  • Next I stamped some Clearly Besotted leaves and an acorn in shades of Distress Ink, over the first stamping, placing the stamps in the orientation I needed for my finished card.
  • I die-cut the leaves and the acorn and stuck them onto a piece of ivory card in the desired position. At this point the leaves were surrounded by the card on all sides.
  • I drew  a pencil line from the top to the bottom of the card at the point where I wanted the die-cutting of the leaves to end and placed the card onto the cutting plate aligning my pencil line with the edge of the plate. Only the part of my card I wanted cutting was on the plate, the rest was hanging off the end. I then popped the dies over the leaves and acorn and ran it through my Cuttlebug. It took three passes to do this.
  • I did a little more jiggery pokery to cut out the rest of the card with a Lil Inkers stitched die, cutting only up to the leaves and then reversing back through the machine. 
The small leaf was cut by hand as there isn't a matching die for it.
The sentiment is from Gina K Designs.

I think maybe a few pictures are called for for this technique! I'll see what I can do. I'm hoping Santa will bring me a video camera so that I can start to do some proper tutorials, if I can get the hang of it!.

This card is in the same vein although there is no partial die-cutting here. The same background stamp was used with the same set of leaves from Clearly Besotted.
The embossing folder is Adagio from Couture Creations and the sentiment is from Stampin' Up. I thought that the little cascade of pearls added a sweet little touch.
Today we will be looking after our grandchildren until tomorrow... should be fun!

21 comments:

  1. Love both of theses :-)

    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2 fabulous and sophisticated cards Chrissie. Love your partial die cutting and hope Santa brings the camcorder for some Chrissie tutorials in the new year. The second card is so striking with the green against white and teamed with classy embossing folder. Perfection. Have a good week. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous cards - need to get my thinking cap on now!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning cards, Chrissie - you have worked some die cutting magic on the first card so would love to see how that is done! Love the text on the leaves :) Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really lovely cards Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love these cards...don't quite follow the die cutting technique but fab results...hope you get the camera form Santa!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Chrissie: popping by to let your know your cards are STUNNING, as in SERIOUSLY STUNNING! The leaves and acorn, stamped on newsprint, then sponged...swoon inducing. I'm in awe...You've made this rainy Saturday morning in Alberta much brighter! Thank you for sharing your creativity!
    ~c

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful cards. Stunning designs and fabulous colour choices.
    Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  9. Two beautiful cards. Really like how you've positioned the pearls on the second card. Thank you for the clear instructions on partial die-cutting, must have a go myself. Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous pair, your partial diecutting is really clever.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love both cards - the first one is so clever with the partial cutting technique. Think I understood it but will need to try it - think it is not quite as easy as you made it seem!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely beautiful cards Chrissie! Love the technique you used on the first card and the elegance of the second.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had seen the second card....and was so impressed, but didn't even notice the newsprint on the first one! What beautiful cards!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Chrissie, that card is perfect !!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So beautiful Chrissie! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great cards Chrissie - they look so elegant and I love that music embossing on the second one!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just loving your bookprint leaves Chrissie and the partial cut on the first card is very clever! Looking forward to Chrissie videos (assuming Santa thinks you've been nice rather than naughty!) Vicky x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Chrissie, both of your L.I.M cards are gorgeous...I'm in love with partial die-cutting and proud to say I've not gotten hit by the flying C plate yet!!
    =] Michele

    ReplyDelete
  19. Absolutely gorgeous cards Chrissie and great inspiration as ever. Would love to see some video tutorials from you in the Spring if you get your wish from Santa! Stef x

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your card with the partial die cutting, and the newsprint adds such dimension to those leaves.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for popping by, I appreciate your comments!
Thanks,
Chrissie