Wednesday 6 November 2019

Getting messy

I treated myself to a few new Sizzix sets of dies recently when they were on sale, of which the background die here is one. I used it because of the absolute pickle I got myself into trying a new technique (to me)!  Oxidised Metal!
I watched the video suggested on the CAS MIX Up Challenge and got into the most awful inky mess. I think I must have used to much reinker, and although I really liked the look of the effect I'd achieved, I couldn't stop the ink coming off. I tried wiping with a baby wipe, (as suggested in the video) and clear heat embossing, but the ink kept coming off. Maybe if I'd had a little more patience it may have dried in time, but sadly I'm not very patient. My solution with all this inkiness was to place it behind a die cut  screen so that it could be seen, but wouldn't be rubbing of on anything it touched.
The next frustration with this card was trying to make the sentiment strip. I used a Clearly Besotted stamp which I wanted to emboss in Copper, to tie in with the 'metal' panel. I kept getting stray EP 
around the words despite copious use of an antistatic bag. The stamp looked clean to me, but I thought I would give it a clean with my new Lawn Fawn Shammy. What a difference... a piece of lint appeared from off the stamp, (which hadn't been apparent earlier) probably from the baby wipe with which it was originally cleaned and the image from my next attempt at embossing came out perfectly! So the Shammy is something I would recommend! 

8 comments:

  1. Love your card. Great save. I too had a mess with this technique and the ink continues to rub off my first attempt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great card - I gave up this technique because of the amount of ink which kept coming off - but good idea about putting it behind something like that. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you persevered Chrissie your card is gorgeous. Thanks for sharing at CAS Mix Up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your card result is "Chrissie Classic" and gorgeous, my friend! It sounds like a bit of an, er, "experience" getting there, however! I haven't tried if yet and hope I have time. I second your tip on using a shammy instead of baby wipes!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had the same experience with my first try, Chrissie, and I was using red re-inker. My fingers were red for days! I love the die you've used and never would have guess that it was to cover up. It's so perfect with the butterfly and your sentiment strip turned out beautifully! Shammy is definitely the way to go! Thanks so much for sharing again at CAS Mix Up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful save with your die-cut panel over top of your metallic piece. This is so beautiful and very delicate with the double embossed butterfly, Chrissie. A gorgeous card. Have to say that the first time I tried this technique, it worked like a charm. Not so on the second, third ...... and so on tried. The ink just wouldn't dry. Not sure what I did differently, but wanted you to know you are not alone! :) Thanks for persevering ... well work the effort when you end up with this beautiful creation. Thanks for sharing with us at CAS Mix Up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well it may have been frustrating, but the final result looks amazing! Love that die:) I used an actual tin foil sheet and alcohol inks and that worked well, but I did try metallic card as well with less successful results. Thanks for joining in the fun at CAS Mix Up Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your trials in making this card sound very familiar, but the card turned out really well, love it xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for popping by, I appreciate your comments!
Thanks,
Chrissie